Iron Book: A Primer on Demons and Devils
Staff Note: Making resources like this are ok, but 1. Keep them IC, and 2. Stats should never, ever be included. Instead, include a sentence that a student might copy from a notebook. The below page is inspired from the Demon's Hunter's Handbook.
To make the best use of this page beyond the Basics, your PC should invest in Knowledge/The Planes.
"Say what you will about the devils, but at least they have their reasons. You can make a bargain with a devil if you're arrogant enough. He may think about keeping it, if he cannot twist it around, and such a creature has had thousands of years to practice. Demons, on the other hand...they're like mad dogs. Sloppy, drooling, and dangerous. Few aspirations beyond their impulses. They're the worst of us reborn."
- Unknown Demon Hunter
- Demons come from Taara's Abyss, though they are ultimately under Maugrim's boot.
- Some demons are capable of possessing mortals, and through these vessels, demons are able to wreck havoc on Ea.
- Demons are chaotic and evil to the core. They are the embodiments of moral, mental, and physical corruption.
- Demons spawn from the sinful souls of chaotic beings, or are a conglomeration of such. The sins of the mortal (or mortals) influence the nature and potential of the creature it may become.
- Demons are often summoned by demon-worshipping cults. Such cults are usually reviled by more 'civilized' cultists, and usually operate in secret.
- Demons lack a concept of mercy.
|Advanced Tactics for Agents|
|Babau||The blood that drips from its body is a potent acid, so take care to protect your weapons. They are fond of using darkness to disorient, and are capable of summoning its shroud from the Abyss.|
|Balor||Only the greatest of heroes should dare to challenge a balor. Even then, do your research. Work to attain resistance or immunity to fire and avoid melee if you can.|
|Glabrezu||Take care of its massive claws. Its greatest strength lies in its vice. However, it also possesses a cunning mind, and lives to deceive, twisting the wishes it grants to make mortals agents of their own corruption, and thus birthing new for Maugrim's landscape.|
|Hezrou||A perverse preacher of the underworld, its thundr'ous blasphemies rock the foundations of the earth. Be prepared to counter it with faithful fortitude, and magical silence. Alchemical solutions may be of some aid; its stench is unmatched on the Material Plane.|
|Indiviak||These creatures of the Abyss are hampered by light akin to Daeus' Sun. Their lack of bodies and resistance to a common blade make them deadly foes. Hunters should care to visit the temples, and to make use of uniquely prepared weapons and blessings.|
|Marilith||Its multi-armed visage replete with whirling blades may seem this creature's greatest threat. Yet, further away it possesses powerful telekinetics. Hunters have also commented on its illusion ability, as well as its ability to send walls of whirling danger at its foes. The marilith is dangerous at all ranges. Caution advised.|
|Succubus||The succubus is among the least dangerous in melee, but the trick is to realize that is what you are facing in the first place. Plan on protections against mind control and mental influences, and watch your back for any followers and thralls they've created. Up close, succubi are quite comely and know nothing of mercy. Though, they're good at pretending, long enough to drop your guard.|
|Vrock||This creature exudes virulent spores that take root in mortal flesh. Holy water can cleans these painful growths. Take care to keep vrocks from working together, for as a group they are capable of unleashing devastating storms.|
- Demons come from the Iron Hells, and though they are ultimately under Maugrim's boot, Taara is brazen enough to make free with them.
- Some devils are capable of possessing mortals, and through these vessels, are able to wreck havoc on Ea.
- Devils are lawful and evil to the core. They are the embodiments of tyranny and corruption, after their master, Maugrim.
- Devils spawn from the sinful souls of evil beings, or are a conglomeration of such. The sins of the mortal (or mortals) influence the nature and potential of the creature it may become.
- Devils are often summoned by ambitious mages, haughty in their intelligence and pride, as well as cults. Such cults are usually reviled by more 'civilized' cultists, and usually operate in secret.
- Devilish cults are usually more organized, and dangerous, than a demon cult.
- Devils lack a concept of mercy.